Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
Solo concert at Carnegie Hall on January 25, 2012
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
November 7, 2011
11:47 pm
Olivier Bruchez
Switzerland
Admin
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 305
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Keith Jarrett will play a solo concert at Carnegie Hall in New York on January 25, 2012. Tickets will go on sale on Tuesday,
November 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM
. Thanks to John for the information!

November 8, 2011
2:18 am
trailrunner
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Right . we were there last year...coughing...noise...anger...never ever again. I wouldn't go see him live again for all the "tea in china". what an ugly audience and what a response from Keith. He tried but the music was lackluster and the whole experience was not worth the $$$ that our boxes cost. Love his CD's. Forget Keith live.

November 8, 2011
7:50 pm
DDunlop
Members
Forum Posts: 1

I am a rather recent convert to the magic and music of Keith...stumbled upon the Vienna concert about 5 years ago and became an addict! I have acquired most of the back catalogue of his performances and I have attended the last 2 Carnegie concerts, which required driving 8 hours from Toronto in winter (both times). 

In 2009, I was frustrated by the diva attitude (18 curtain calls to elicit 6 encores).  I really enjoy attending concerts where the artist(s) react to the adulation of the listeners by staying in the groove and keeping the music flowing.  Somehow, the vast majority of performing jazz musicians can do this, as did Keith in his earlier years.

In 2011, I included my 3 teenage children and wife in the trip, hoping for a memorable experience. Again, the sometimes wonderful performance was marred by the terrible interaction between Keith and the audience.    I think Keith unfairly penalizes the vast majority of the attentive, non coughing, non recording, $100 ticket paying audience so that he can deal with the few rude members who arrive late, cough loudly, don't respect the no photo/recording requests etc.  This frustrates me!

I am a huge supporter of live jazz and enjoy the singular, exceptional perfomances that arise from time to time. I think I will sit out this concert and spend the money on a Keith CD that I can listen to repeatedly and in some local clubs.  For a counterpoint example of audience interaction, check out any live, improvised performance by Gabriela Montero.

Forum Timezone: UTC 2

Most Users Ever Online: 292

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Jonny J Jonson: 23

Squishy: 17

bonsaitreehugger: 7

KJBerlin09: 6

jazzyjuan: 6