Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
Changeless (1987)
May 11, 2014
10:53 pm
JulienCarilloux
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi,

I have a question, i hope someone will be able to answer : in the beautiful album Changeless, we can hear 4 tracks, recorded in 1987, in 4 different concerts, IS THIS TOTAL IMPROVISATION ?

May 12, 2014
9:32 am
Olivier Bruchez
Switzerland
Admin
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 305

Excerpt from "Keith Jarrett - The man and the music":

In 1987, a new element began to appear in the standards concerts: occasionally a wholly improvised piece would emerge from one of the standard performances or would just happen spontaneously. These remained in one key throughout. and had no harmonic changes. This development was a kind of mirror-image of Jarrett's last solo concerts when he had played a standard tune, ‘Over the Rainbow’, as an encore. Four of the spontaneous pieces from his American tour in October 1987 were eventually released on the album Changeless, so-called because of the absence of harmonic changes. Once again. the experience of Spirits seems to inform and inspire the almost minimalist approach of these truly exquisite performances. They have a powerful organic logic which the trio instinctively understands and follows through. The playing is restrained and every note is made to count, but the conceptual grasp is superb, and a tremendous quality of feeling is projected, as if the music has a life of its own and the musicians are merely midwives at its gentle birth. Often to play more sparsely can lead to renewed creativity. Everything about this sophisticated music is eloquent and humane. and yet it is hard to relate its grace and simplicity to Keith Jarrett's impenetrable liner notes. Here he seems to be attempting to give verbal utterance to perspectives he acquired under the spell of Spirits, but only the music can speak for itself, and it does.

May 13, 2014
12:49 pm
JulienCarilloux
Members

Thanks for this answer. I suspected that it was entirely improvised, because of the absence of harmonic changes, and the progressive environnement in each of the songs. That must be what we call a perfect "musical symbiosis" between musicians.

July 30, 2014
11:22 pm
Virgo6
Members

Hello, Changeless is a magnificent album. I'm trying to find similar albums that have similar ambient mood. So far I have the following:

Survivors Suite

Koln Concert

Eyes of the Heart, Pt. 1 (the percussion & saxophone intro only)

Can anybody recommend similar albums?

Many thanks

August 13, 2014
9:55 am
Olivier Bruchez
Switzerland
Admin
Moderators

Members

You might want to try "Inside Out" and "Always Let Me Go", also with the Trio.

May 13, 2020
6:03 pm
Virgo6
Members

Thought I'd resurrect this post from six years ago... Thanks to Spotify I can now trawl through Keith Jarrett's catalog. As I previously asked - I'm trying to track down stuff he's done (if any) similar to Endless, which has a wonderful ambient spiritual flowing quality ie music you can lie back and zone out too. As before I can only find Survivors Suite (side 1 before it gets to loud and free stylish), Koln Concert (side 1) and Eyes of the Heart, Pt. 1 (the percussion & saxophone intro only). So I'm still searching. I did check out "Inside Out" and "Always Let Me Go" but they dont have that Kosmigroove quality. Any suggestions?

May 14, 2020
12:43 pm
Olivier Bruchez
Switzerland
Admin
Moderators

Members

Hi, the problem is that "Changeless" is kind of a unique entry in Keith Jarrett's discography.

Maybe the extended improvisations on "At The Blue Note - The Complete Recordings"? I would try "You Don't Know What Love Is / Muezzin" and "I Fall In Love Too Easily / The Fire Within" (I think, from memory).

Forum Timezone: UTC 2

Most Users Ever Online: 292

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Jonny J Jonson: 23

Squishy: 17

bonsaitreehugger: 7

KJBerlin09: 6

jazzyjuan: 6