Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
Keith Jarrett and the Goldberg Variations - His solo concert @ the Ancient Odeum 20th June 1988 Patras, Greece part of the Patras International Festival
February 28, 2014
8:37 pm
Stewart C
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Olivier Bruchez has recently added this concert to the list of past concerts from information supplied by me to him.

He asked me to post these additional notes (that I originally sent to him) and if I would not mind to do so for the enjoyment of other Keith Jarrett fans, which I am happy to do here.

Keith Jarrett Solo Concert in Patras Greece - Held at the Ancient Odeum on the 20th of June 1988 

This concert was part of the Patras International Festival.

This concert was on a Monday evening starting @ 9:30pm
The cost of the ticket was 1.500 Drachmas. 
I remember this concert very well for the following incredible series of what seemed like dream-like series of events:

I met Keith Jarrett at the sound check before the concert, which was very rare in itself as he never allowed any journalists, or members of the public to meet him before any of his concerts.That was quite an amazing experience, not only because I got to meet him, but because of what he played during the sound check.
A little background to this story:
I was (and I still am) a great admirer and fan of the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. My love and admiration goes back to the 1970's after reading about him incessantly in the writings of Hermann Hesse, who was very influential in turning me on to the music of J.S. Bach.
In 1983/4 I started to study the Goldberg Variations in Paris, France and I was intent on playing all 30 variations. Quite a challenge!
I had an incredible teacher from the Henry the 4th school in Paris and I started to study the variations.
I was completely fascinated by this music and I still am to this day. 
Imagine my absolute shock when I heard Keith playing  the 28th Variation during his sound check!
As here: 

I could not believe my ears!  I remember exclaiming " I can't believe he is playing the Goldberg Variations!". Of course, I found out later on that he had recorded the Goldberg Variations on ECM records but I did not know this at the time.
Anyway at a quiet and suitable moment, when he appeared to have finished his sound check, I went over to the piano to talk with him and I told him what a big fan I was of him and his music.
I had with me, amazingly enough, a photo-copy of the original manuscript of the opening variation of the Goldberg Variation which I had obtained from the National library in Paris (where the original manuscript is kept safely) and which for some reason I felt compelled to offer up to him!!
I don't know why I did that as I had gone to a lot of trouble to obtain that myself when I lived in Paris from 1982-1985.
Talk of synchronicity at work!! He must have been totally amazed to be handed a copy of the Goldberg Variations after having just played a few of them!  Surprised
The concert itself was quite stunning with Keith Jarrett singing over quite a lot of the music and he refused to play any encore.Cool
February 28, 2014
8:54 pm
Olivier Bruchez
Switzerland
Admin
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 305
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thanks, Stewart!

Forum Timezone: UTC 2

Most Users Ever Online: 292