Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_TopicIcon
Solo concert in Seoul on June 2, 2011
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
May 19, 2011
9:16 am
Olivier Bruchez
Switzerland
Admin
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 305
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I might be wrong, but I thought that nowadays most (if not all) Keith Jarrett concerts are "professionally recorded".

May 19, 2011
3:04 pm
bonsaitreehugger
Members
Forum Posts: 7

I think you're right--he records dozens of concerts for every one he releases.  The website sure makes it sound like his experience in Seoul led him to insist on returning (and with a "special" recording crew), but it's hard to say how much of this is just overblown anecdotal hearsay, which is common in Korean media.  I know it's probably unlikely to be released, knowing how picky he is.  But he seems to want to be prepared, knowing how much the audience's behavior affects his performance experience, and having been impressed with Seoul before.

June 1, 2011
3:46 pm
morningdew77
Seoul, Korea
Members
Forum Posts: 4

bonsaitreehugger said:

@morningdew

Super jealous.  I too was pressing refresh repeatedly, but I hadn't anticipated needing to register to buy tickets!  I was hoping for front row VIP but twenty minutes later, I had to settle for first row balcony.  :-/  I'm hoping for a bit more amplification than last time with his trio in Seoul.

Regardless, can't wait for this once-in-a-lifetime event.  I'm exclusively listening to his solo albums discography until then.  Just rediscovered La Scala, which I hadn't given much attention to until recently.  (The last 20 minutes of Part 2 caused my Korean fiance to start crying last night, officially confirming I've found the right woman!)

Bonsai, I assume you're also the fellow on the FB page, one of just 8 brave seouls who are both on this forum and FB attending the show - and I must remark that I would gladly give up my front row seat tomorrow night in favor of a Korean fiance who liked KJ, as my Korean girlfriend is simply mad at me that I didn't invite her to the concert.  What can I say?  I've been listening to KJ for 10 years, and this is simply someting I want to experience alone....hopefully she'll get over it, and give his music a chance someday.  She shouldn't hold a grudge on him for my selfishness, right?

And intertesting regarding your "rediscovery" of La Scala, as I did a bit of the same, though my "shelving" of the album was merely a few months, at which point I forced myself to digest it again, and now Part 1 may be my favorite of all his recordings, though I'm still a huge fan of the Paris concert. 

Anyway, see you tomorrow night, and we shall hopefully provide a review afterward for all to enjoy. 

June 3, 2011
2:43 am
bonsaitreehugger
Members
Forum Posts: 7

Haha, I HAD to bring my fiance/now-wife this time--she's still a little sour that I didn't bring her to the KJ trio concert last year.  Totally understand wanting to experience something like that alone.  Especially if your GF isn't really into KJ already.  His solo concerts are a truly sacred thing, and somehow seeing a concert with someone else (especially when you're the one taking them and they're unfamiliar with the artist), at least for me, tends to alter the experience--I see the show through their eyes, wonder if they're enjoying it, and analyze it more instead of just being absorbed.  I actually kinda regret taking my fiance to a Pat Metheny concert last year, as he's my lifetime favorite musician (although KJ passed him up a few years back) and his concerts are a pretty big thing for me, so her lack of enjoyment really put a damper on the experience.

That being said, we both loved the show last night, as expected.  A good sampling of all his solo styles.  Overall, I'd say the show wasn't as dramatic and transcendant as he's capable of (particularly with his long-form older solo concerts).  Generally more low-key, but remarkably gorgeous.  Several songs were quite inspired and fresh, and then we got the usual (but enjoyable) fare: Ethnic Groovy Thing, old-timey blues, Americana, hymn-like ballad, and note diarrhea (though I was pleased that this was kept to a minimum).  And of course the 6 or 7 encores, during which he played several of the Melody At Night set, which is my wife's and my album.  Last was I Loves You Porgy.  Do you know the name of the second-to-last tune?  I didn't recognize it but it sounded like a standard.  First time I've heard him play that one.

One improvised tune that stuck out to me was the one that started off sounding similar to a tune on Testament (Part 8 London, Track 3 on Disc 3).  But it went off in a gorgeous direction that I hope to one day revisit on a Keith Jarrett: Seoul solo album.

What'd you think?

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: UTC 2

Most Users Ever Online: 292

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Jonny J Jonson: 23

Squishy: 17

bonsaitreehugger: 7